Lovely Celiac Disease

Back in July I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and i just wanted to share my thoughts on it. For those of you who don't know exactly what Celiac Disease is, I will explain. It is a genetic autoimmune disease which the ingestion of gluten lease to damage the small intestine. Meaning, my own cells are attacking my body. There are little Villi or tentacle looking things in your small intestine that absorb nutrients. Eating gluten damages those and you cant absorb much nutrients. That can lead to many other issues. Unfortunately, it has no cure YET ( i hope one day... ) which means this is a complete lifestyle change. I have eliminated Wheat, Barley and Rye from my diet. Which seems simple because its just 3 different grains but you would be shocked if you started reading labels and saw how much wheat is in everything we eat.  Luckily over the last year and a half or so I have made a lot of health changes and was eating very plant based and limited a lot of foods that I cant eat now. I was feeling really good at the time and had a lot of energy and was losing weight and maintaining it. Once I was diagnosed, the only thing i really had to change was my breads. I found a really good one that I like a lot. Luckily there are so many options for people with this disease. I makes grocery shopping much easier. Going out to eat however is quite difficult. You would think that waiter and waitresses know the menu and are confident if something has gluten in it. Its not always the case. There are tons of restaurants out there that cater to this disease/allergy and its awesome! Some of my favorites that I've tried are Blue Lemon, Good Thyme, Red Lobster and im still searching for more.  If anyone knows of other ones, please share! Its been just over 4 weeks since I've gone gluten free and i feel so much better! I didnt really realized i had symptoms until I recently stopped getting migraines and rashes on my arms. I used to get a head aches almost every day and so bad sometimes that I was taking heavy migraine medications to to ease the pain. I was just dealing with it for so many years but never did anything about it. I just got to the point where i thought it was just normal for me. Since my diet change 4 weeks ago I have had maybe 3 small head aches and my skin has cleared up so much! It has been awesome. I feel even better and have so much energy! Thank goodness for Pinterest too! I have found so many recipes and ideas about eating gluten free. Lots of tips and tricks! I am so grateful for that! 

I would love to share ideas and favorite recipes with anyone who also eats this way! I am a newbie and need all the help I can get! Thanks in advance! Love you all!

Lorin 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

Blessings from 10 day social media fast..

Come Follow Me Challenge